The Whitehorse Cross Country Ski Club is seeking a qualified individual who will be responsible for the operation and supervision of the kids and youth programming (4 to 12 years old) for the winter season 23/24.
Contract Dates: Full-time - November 2023 to end of March 2024 (start and end dates subject to change). Hours will be available in September/October 2023 and April 2024 paid per hour.
- Ensuring the health, safety and well-being of children in the program.
- Planning and early season preparation for the program.
- Recruiting program leaders and helpers.
- Promoting training for new leaders/helpers and attending the training (provided by Cross Country Yukon).
- Coordinating early season training for leaders/helpers (games clinic, ski lesson for leaders and helpers, etc.)
- Supporting group leaders with lesson planning resources and equipment set up.
- Working cooperatively with staff, volunteers, and participants.
- Actively participating in all program sessions, designated meetings, and special events.
- Coordinating rental equipment for program participants.
- Serving as the point person within the groups during activities.
- Maintaining accurate program documentation (lesson plans, group lists, communications to participants, etc.)
- Establishing new program activities and expanding the program within the Whitehorse community.
- Coordinating special activities and end of season events for the program participants.
- Promoting trail etiquette, rules, safety, and teaching participants to remain safe when skiing on their own.
- Completing a season-end report for the program.
- XC ski instructor certification (NCCP and/or CANSI).
- Safe Sport training (Coaching Association of Canada).
- Standard First Aid and CPR (provided if needed).
- Provide an E-PIC and vulnerable sector check (from the RCMP).
- Experience working with and instructing varying ages and ability levels.
- Previous experience working in cross-country skiing instruction and/or program coordination.
- Good leadership, communication, organizational and team work skills.
- Be physically able to lead ski programs multiple days a week.
- Ability to adapt quickly to change.
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control.
- Language: English (French will be a plus).
Recreation & Tourism