This Position reports directly to the Operations Director. This position is a Canada Summer Jobs position, as such candidates must meet the eligible criteria. This position focuses on food security and is a FT contract shared between the Whitehorse Foodbank and BGC Yukon. BGC Yukon is the primary supervisor of this role. The incumbent will be responsible for youth engagement and supervision with respect to food and garden engagement and support with coordinating community food distribution. This role is all about fostering the connection between food and humans.
Start/End Date: 37.5hr/week for 10 week position.
Wage Range: $21/hour - $23/hr
Position Location: Whitehorse, YT
Position Supervisor: This position reports directly to the BGC Yukon Operations Director
BGC Yukon Responsibilities:
- Interact with Youth aged 12-18 and visitors to the centre in a positive and welcoming manner.
- Support Food program planning and implementation.
- Support all food program staff and volunteers.
- Communicate with clients, Communities and organizations connected to the food programs.
- Support with daily food and food space health and safety.
- Ensure safety and security by communication with staff members.
- Support seniors, volunteers, staff, youth and interns in garden and food growing programs.
- Implement and maintain BGC Yukon’s garden boxes.
- Support maintenance, organization, cleanliness and up-keep of BGCY food program areas, including the commercial Kitchen.
- Track and communicate all food programs related data, statistics and mandatory reporting.
Whitehorse Foodbank Responsibilities:
- Assist with the distribution shifts as required
- Work with staff, and all volunteers
- Proactively build and maintain volunteer relationships
- Maintain general upkeep of the Whitehorse site and conduct regular office duties as required.Any other duties as requested.
- Ensures that BGCY and Whitehorse Foodbank program standards, guidelines and policies are followed, and that programs align to BGCY’s Mission, Vision, Values and strategic direction;
- Maintains confidentiality in all aspects of program development and delivery, as per BGCY policy and procedure;
- Attends scheduled staff meetings and training sessions;
- Keeps informed and has a general awareness of all BGCY programs and services;
- Assist the Admin Staff in light office duties and other related duties as requested.
Program Development and Reporting
- Aids the Operations Director in the implementation of food programs meeting food sustainability and security standards and supports food related programming that engages youth. Consistently, ensuring that the social/recreational needs Youth who visit the program are met;
- Aids the Program Manager in recording regular accurate program records, statistics, health and safety reports, and other records as requested by the Program Manager.
- Supports Youth engagement in appropriate programming and activities as per a developed program plan;
- Work as part of a team to foster an atmosphere that promotes healthy lifestyle, self-esteem, teamwork through fun, safe, and challenging activities, while being a positive adult role model;
- Ensure site safety, cleanliness, and security, including the proper opening and lock up of all facilities, set-up and dismantling of all program areas, general maintenance duties, and ensuring proper care for all vehicles and equipment;
- Ensure client safety by adhering to all BGCY emergency policy and procedures and conducting regular staff, participant and site safety exercises.
- Aids the Program Manager in liaising with various community partners in an effort to engage youth from all social and economic backgrounds, and to provide top quality programming.
- Assist in office reception, including greeting, answering telephones and providing general information.
- Current Criminal Record Check (Vulnerable Sector);
- Valid CPR/First Aid Certificate;
- Valid Foodsafe Level 1 Certificate (or must be attained within first 3 months of work);
- One year of experience in providing programs for youth in a social, recreational or similar environment (asset);
- Demonstrated teamwork skills;
- Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills;
- Candidate must meet all Canada Summer Grant Job program criterias
- Candidate must be open and eligible to completing all necessary Canada Summer Job documentation, evaluation and follow-up
ACCOMODATION AND TRANSPORTATION
Please note BGCY and the Whitehorse Foodbank are inclusive organizations and we accept candidates who are new to the Yukon or seasonally working. BGCY cannot provide transportation or housing support.
Please send a CV and cover letter to the BGCY Administration office at: [email protected]